Thursday, March 06, 2003

Crazy People on the Train

One of the best things about living in New York is the subway system, at least when it's running smoothly. Here everyone takes the subway because it's pretty cheap and there is always a train station a few blocks away from any given location in the city.

One of the best things about taking the subway is the people-watching. I have seen people from all races, economic class and age groups. Even the mayor takes the subway to work. There are always beautiful girls to ogle, clueless tourists to laugh at (although I belonged to this category not so long ago and still feel like one sometimes), and musical performances to enjoy, at least when you have more freedom to decide whether to pay them or not, as opposed to feeling like you are being forced to pay when you can't avoid them because they are on the same train with you.

Of course, there are also crazy people that I would not rather meet. They are either mentally ill and talk to themselves or they are zealous Christians looking to preach and admonish and convert those who would rather be left alone, like me. I meet someone like that everyday. On the way to work this morning, there was a big black guy with a booming voice who went on and on about God. He was talking about how our self worth is tied to our jobs, saying that we are not bankers, lawyers, "IBM operators," etc. "That's not who you ARE, that's what you Do," He exhorted, "What are you if you lose your job?" I came THIS close to responding with "I would be poor and have to preach on a train." Then he was talking about how we shouldn't be afraid of anything because God loves us. "What are you afraid of?" He asked. I wanted to say, "a big black dude screaming at me on the train." Then he started singing. Let's just say he wouldn't fare well on American Idol. I wish Christianity isn't so focused on evangelism and proselytizing so I don't have to deal with these people on a daily basis. I'm just glad there weren't any crazy Catholics trying to smear ash on my forehead yesterday :-)

I think the method of transportation has been one of the most significant differences between living in CA and NYC. Here I'm forced to be with some people that I would never see at work or school. In CA, I just jump in my car and drive to wherever I need to go. It's been a mixed blessing taking the train.