Tuesday, April 29, 2003

The Brotherhood

The train that I take after work is usually predominantly Hispanic and black, so periodically there would be some pretty bootylicious ladies walking through the train. After I take a little time to appreciate their beauty, I amuse myself by looking at the other guys. Yep, they are checking out the ladies, too.

Then I thought about having dim sum with the family last weekend. I was checking out the cute girls that were flowing into the restaurant even as I chewed on my sesame buns. Whenever some people entered the restaurant, my gaze inevitably drifted into their direction as if I had some kind of hottie receptors attached to my head. My attention was divided three ways: engaging in conversations with everyone at my table, eating, and keeping tabs on all the hotties sitting at other tables. I'm pretty sure the other guys my age were doing the same.

At times I find it rather amusing that the opposite sex gets so much of our attention. The Seinfield episode in which Jerry compared George's brain to a lettuce (or was it a califlower?) the bulk of which is obsessed with sex is fucking brilliant because it is so true. It is as if men were born with a built-in libido alarm clock. From the time that alarm first goes off at the onset of puberty to death, we are willing servants to our sexual desires. There is nothing we can do to suppress the siren that goes off in our head any time an attractive woman enters our vicinity. It's so hardcoded into our genes that it's almost absurd. Sometimes I wonder if women have the same urges.