Sunday, March 23, 2003

Adrien Brody is the Pimp

That guy did everything right tonight. First he wins the Oscar for best actor, then he gives Halle Berry a steamy kiss ("They didn't tell you that was in the gift bag"), then he gives the best speech of the night, even telling the annoying orchestra to "cut it out." He's my idol now. I'm going to check out The Pianist ASAP.

Even though I am ecstatic that Michael Moore won for Best Documentary and I agree with what he said, I thought his speech was out of place and self righteous. He looked like a pompous ass on stage. Brody was definitely less inflammatory even though he also seemed to be against the war. His speech was a masterpiece from start to finish. It was basically a stream of consciousness. It was eloquent and moving. Wonderful. Go Adrien.

I'm also really thrilled that Chris Cooper won Best Supporting Actor for his role in Adaption, although he was definitely better in American Beauty.

Speaking of actors that deserve more recognition and fame, what happened to Ed Harris? He looks so old and gentle now, and doesn't resemble the steely tough guy I remember from movies like The Rock, Apollo 13, and China Moon.