Wednesday, April 09, 2003

I'm Spent

From playing WAY too much Max Payne last night!! That game is so, how shall I put it in the vernacular, dope? It is a 3rd person shooter that's implemented much better than many other games in the genre. Everything is top-notch in this game: supersmart camera angles, sensical button layout, realistic graphics, awesome sound effects that are sometimes downright creepy. A really cool feature of the game is Bullet Time, which once activated allows the player to slow everything down in the game and yet still be able to take aims at baddies in real time. I know I know, I didn't understand this feature when I first read about it either. You have to see it to appreciate how cool it is. The coolest part about using Bullet Time is that I got to be like Chow Yun-Fat, jumping sideways while blasting away at mofos IN SLOW MOTION!!

Max Payne is also a kick-ass game because it almost feels like an interactive movie. The script, with its vivid descriptions and witty dialogue, was definitely written by real professionals. At times the narrative was even poetic, none of that "all your base are belong to us" shit. The voice acting is definitely on a par with GTA, maybe even better, and brings the script to life.

I guess the only complaint I have about this game is that, like most of the new games on the market today, it requires me to use too many buttons!! There are buttons for shooting, bullet time, shoot dodge, switching weapons, taking pain killers, using items, reloading weapons, jump and a bunch of other functions. This game actually uses every single button on the PS2 controller!! Man, I miss the good old days when I could play Super Mario Brothers 3 with two buttons.