Tuesday, April 29, 2003

Kids

On Sunday I went to Sam's with my sister to get some food and water for her apartment. She hasn't shopped much recently because her pregnancy makes it difficult for her to carry around the heavier items, such as cases of bottled water. As I looked at her, I couldn't help but wonder at the prospect of her becoming a mother. It seemed like only yesterday she was spanking my toddler ass for pissing in my pants and running away to the movie theatre with my cousin after telling me to go get something from upstairs. It's amazing how my big sister has transformed from a total rebel to a mature mother-to-be. Maybe not always mature, but still a big improvement :-)

I also felt really excited about her baby. As I loaded the groceries into the trunk, I was thinking of things to get for my little niece/nephew. Maybe a stroller or a crib. Or, as I joked with her before, a one-year diaper supply. Maybe in a few years I will get him or her a Playstation 4 so the little tyke can also develop bad eyesight and wear geeky glasses like me. Maybe not.

Along with the excitement, I felt almost overprotective. I nagged at her about going to bed on time (like I have any right to tell her that) and eating well and seeing the doctor regularly. Then I thought about Laci Peterson. God, I can't begin to imagine what kind of pain her family is suffering right now. The fact that something that heinous can even occur pretty much proves to me that there is no benevolent old man in the sky watching out for us. To me, there is not a more appropriate punishment for this horrible crime than the death penalty.