Saturday, May 03, 2003

Neighborhood Weirdness

As I took a stroll through the neighborhood earlier today, I observed a couple of interesting things. First, the firefighters stationed down the block from my apartment held a rally protesting proposed budget cuts that would close their station. There were 40 or 50 people crowded in front of the station listening to others speak at the microphone. I couldn't really hear what the speaker was trying to say and I doubt the people arround me could hear her, but everyone clapped anyways when she finished speaking. Some in the crowd held signs like "Save Our Station!" I wonder what kind of reactions I would have gotten if I made nonsensical signs like "These people are evil, they kill innocent little fires!!" Or, "No Blood For Oil!!"

As I walked past the church, I saw many people sitting inside. This was the first time I've ever seen that church open to the public, probably because I usually get up really late on the weekends. I also noticed that the school next to the church had its doors open. I was about to enter the school just to check it out, when some old white lady walked up to me and said, "Can I help you?" I replied, "Is there some kind of public event going on? I was just curious." She responded, "Oh, it's their first Communion today and there is a flea market in the back." The look on her face basically told me to butt out. I walked away to check out some other places and then walked past the church again 15 minutes later. There was a line of little boys and girls who were all dressed up. The boys wore tuxedos (I think) while the girls wore what looked like wedding gowns. I thought to myself, Catholicism is such a fucking weird institution. You have all these little kids dressed up like they are going to marry each other. Then, they participate in ritualistic cannibalism and bacchanal drinking and then confess to evil deeds that are nothing more than immature childish behavior in front of men who voluntarily cling on to celibacy, which seems to counter biological/natural intuition to me.