Monday, October 13, 2003

Fairness

For the past few days, I have followed the Jan Stephenson-LPGA controversy with interest. How would the hordes of sports journalists respond to her comments that Asian players are "killing" the LPGA?

(original quote: "This is probably going to get me in trouble, but the Asians are killing our tour. Absolutely killing it," Stephenson told the magazine. "Their lack of emotion, their refusal to speak English when they can speak English. They rarely speak.")

The silence has been deafening. Almost two weeks after the original article appeared, which I have seen linked on EPSN, Sports Illustrated, CNN, Yahoo News, Excite News, to name just a few, I have yet to see a single columnist criticize Stephenson's statements or offer any kind of rebuttal. It is especially disheartening to see such apathy after the recent uproar over the Rush Limbaugh-Donnovan McNabb debacle. Granted, women's golf doesn't exactly attract the same level of attention as professional football, but it would have been nice to see someone speaking out, other than the players themselves. I guess I should not even be all that surprised.