Saturday, January 28, 2006

Things I've Done in the Past Two Weeks...

* Stumbled home from the company holiday party somewhat tipsy (an open bar is a double-edged sword) and proceeded to tackle the roommate just for the hell of it, in the process breaking one of our two couches by falling on it. I have absolutely no recollection of actually breaking the couch and only remember laughing at the roommie as he yelled at me after a futile attempt to fix it.

* Got dragged on to a black diamond slope at the Okemo ski resort in Vermont by some friends, despite the fact that it was only my third time skiing. Amazingly, I only took 4 or 5 spills the whole way down, but it did hurt like hell when I rolled across a big patch of ice. Earned the nickname "Cannonball" because I was going at least twice as fast as everyone else because I didn't know how to slow down and frankly didn't care to slow down. At times the fog was so heavy I couldn't see more than 20 or 30 feet in front of me. The pouring rain didn't help either.

* Walked into my apartment past some super shady dude who tried to conceal a HUGE wad of fifty-dollar bills (enough for a down payment on a nice condo) he was counting in front of our door.

* Watched "Hustle and Flow" and almost wanted to quit my job to pursue some yet-to-be discovered passion. Terrence Howard is one soulful bad ass motherfucker.

* Almost hit a bouncer with a pair of colorful leg warmer/sock thingie I found on the street outside a club in K-Town while trying to get Joe's attention. Got yelled at by said bouncer and was refused re-entry back into the club. Then ate ramen and spam and downed shots of soju with Sachin and Joe in a restaurant in K-Town at around 6 AM. Then proceeded to slam Joe into the ground while we were horsing around and pushing each other into cars.

* Organized a trip to MOMA with a bunch of friends and friends of friends. Definitely appreciated some of the artworks more upon a second viewing. Still not impressed by Impressionism. I find static portraits of water lilies, ponds and ladies in bonnets incredibly dull. I've always been more of a Renaissance guy because I want to see drama and conflict and the mythical in artworks. Little girls sitting on grass just aren't as interesting as, say, Saint X being martyred in as gory and violent a way as possible. Ok, if no maiming and beheading, at least show me something as bold and stunning as this.

* Had one of the most amazing meals ever at Applewood, an incredible restaurant in Park Slope in Brooklyn. The quality of the food was comparable to Babbo. Actually, I think it was better than Babbo. Highly recommended.

* Listened to "First Impressions of Earth," that new Strokes album nonstop. "You Only Live Once" is definitely the catchiest song I have heard in a long time. It's on a par with "Walking with a Ghost," by my favorite Canadian identical twin lesbian sister band Tegan and Sara.