Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Meat Overdose

Tonight, after I picked up tickets for the 1/20 Kaki King/Hem/Vienna Teng show at the Bowery, my favorite concert venue here, I stopped at Katz's Deli a block away for dinner. I had a HUGE salami sandwich with a full plate of pickles while sitting next to the table with the famous sign: "Where Harry met Sally...hope you have what she had!" Hell, if Sally had what *I* had, she would be shitting a cow, instead of moaning with pleasure.

I can't believe I survived that sandwich. It was a vegetarian's worst nightmare. I counted exactly 18 layers of salami that I had to work methodically through. Even I felt like begging for mercy as I endured the last few salty bites. A lesser carnivore would have thrown up all over the framed pictures of celebrity diners hung on the wall of fame, which proudly displayed smiling mugs of such luminaries as Bill Clinton, Dr. Joyce Brothers, and Goldberg the first Jewish pro wrestler. A lot of the credit has to go to the excellent Katz's Ale, which helped wash down all that cured goodness, although it did have a smoky Guinness-like aftertaste, of which I'm not exactly a fan.

I ended up spending a little more than $20 on the sandwich and beer, as well as a tip for the old, gruff butcher that gave me 8 slices of salami to taste while he was working on my ridiculous sandwich. I spent more than I wanted to spend on dinner, but I definitely got my money's worth.