Wednesday, February 26, 2003

Racial inequality?

Here's what I have noticed at my company:

1.) Most of the banker/analyst big wigs are white.
2.) Most of the programmers/techies are Asian.
3.) Most of the security guards/gatekeepers are black.
4.) Most of the cafeteria servers are Hispanic.

This reminds me of how at Stanford most of the people who serve food in the dining halls and who clean the bathrooms are Hispanic and don't speak English. Also, all the laundromats and trinket shops in my neighborhood are run by Asians. My friend Lisa, who's a high school teacher in a predominantly black high school in Spanish Harlem, tells me that her students live in ghetto neighborhoods and have very little meaningful contact with people outside of their race.

Is there a solution to this racial specialization/segregation problem? Is this even a problem that I should be concerned about? Someone has to serve me my food right?