Thursday, March 20, 2003

Thought Police

I have never been a big fan of the Dixie Chicks, or country music for that matter. However, I do admire lead singer Natalie Maines for speaking out against Bush: "Just so you know, we're ashamed the president of the United States is from Texas." Now their trailer trash fans in the US are burning their CD's, radio stations around the country have boycotted their songs, and Maines was forced to apologize for expressing her opinion. Even more absurd, a Republican South Carolina House member has introduced a resolution to force them to perform a free concert for troops. AND IT PASSED!!!! What kind of fascist country am I living in right now? These musicians are being punished for exercising their first amendment rights!! I would like to see how these nazi Republicans plan to enforce their resolution.

For me this little incident means two things: 1.) I will never set a foot into that backward dump of a state South Carolina if I can help it; 2.) I may just give the Dixie Chicks' new CD a try.