Thursday, May 29, 2003

Crazy City

Last night I didn't get home until 10:15 because I was looking at apartments in Manhattan and had dinner there too. Despite all that time spent in the city, I only managed to see two apartments, neither being anywhere near ideal. The first one I went to was on the upper east side on 57th and 1st. The apartment complex had a beautiful lobby as well as a decked out doorman, which really raised my hopes up. It took me a while to get to the 31st floor and when I finally stepped out of the elevator I knew something wasn't right: the hallway outside of the elevator was tiny and there were only 4 or 5 doors. At this point, I knew I was wasting my time, but since I had gone through the hassle of getting to this place I didn't just turn around and leave. Sylvie, the 28-year-old woman that's living there now, opened the door and showed me around the apartment, which took all of 2 minutes given its diminuitive size. There were two average-sized couches facing each other in the living room, and about a two-foot gap in between. That was the living room! I don't remember what the kitchen looked like because I wasn't really paying attention. The room that was for rent had its door closed. We opened the door and entered the room. The stench was so intense I wanted to crash out of the window just to get some fresh air. Sylvie had warned me beforehand that the room smells terrible because her current roommate has two cats in there and that is the reason he is moving out, because she can't stand the smell. I held my breath and looked around. There really wasn't much too look at since the room was probably only 8'x8'. I told her that the room was too small and left promptly. I can't believe anyone would want to pay $1150 for such a small room in such a small apartment.

Since I had some time to kill before my next appointment. I walked around in a Diesel store. That store has some of the weirdest clothes I have ever seen. I had trouble distinguishing between the men's and women's sections because everything looked so gaudy and flashy.

It took me forever to get to my next apartment, which was quite far from the nearest subway stop. It had those ancient elevators that has an extra outside door that you need to open before you can get into the damn thing. I wish I had known that this is a one-bedroom apartment before I hauled ass over there. The first thing I saw when Aimee, the Columbia student/bartender, opened the door was her lofted bed in a corner in the living room. Then I met her soon-to-be former roommate Byron. They seemed like cool people. The living room was huge even with her bed in there. The bedroom that she's renting out is definitely the biggest bedroom I have seen so far here. It also has a great view of the river and it's only $950/month. I would have taken it on the spot if: a.) she has her own bedroom; b.) she's definitely staying at the place after school starts in Septemember; and c.) there won't be a potentially huge rent raise come September. Hell, the fact that she's sleeping in the living room was enough to discourage me from taking the place. She was pretty hot so I'm almost certain that she has a bf. I don't want to stumble in the room while they are screwing. Neither would I want to be sexiled. So that was a total waste of time.

Tonight I'm going to meet with Chil, some kid that just graduated from UPenn last year. He contacted me about looking for a 2BR place together after seeing my "seeking room" ad on Craig's List. He sounds like a pretty cool guy and I saw some pretty good deals on 2BR places. Hopefully this will work out.