Friday, May 16, 2003

Saving Private Lynch?

I remember actually being angry when Dad told me that he had read from overseas news sources that the Private Lynch rescue story might have been faked by the Pentagon to drum up some feel-good story in order to sustain public morale. Despite my opposition to the war and my mistrust of the Bush Administration for its stated motivations for the war, I did not want to believe that something this obscene and this devious could be true. "That is utter nonsense, " I fumed, "Why the hell would they want to do something like that?" Maybe I owe Dad an apology after all:

From The Guardian:

The truth about Jessica

Her Iraqi guards had long fled, she was being well cared for - and doctors had already tried to free her. John Kampfner discovers the real story behind a modern American war myth