Monday, May 12, 2003

Justifying My Existence

Sunday totally fucking validated my move to New York. First I met with a friend at a cafe and we had a lot of fun chatting and catching up for a couple of hours. While I was waiting in line for the bathroom, the guy in front of me noticed my 6th Man shirt and asked if I went to Stanford. Apparently, he graduated in '99 and is in his third year at Cornell Med right now. We exchanged contact information and will probably set up a time to hang out sometime this week.

Then my friend and I went to the Apple store to check it out because neither of us has been to the NYC branch yet. The store has the same kind of futuristic elegance and sleekness as the computers themselves. Every computer had full internet access so there were tons of people there just reading and writing emails for free, including my friend. There were a lot of cool gadgets that we played around with of course. And I SAW FAMKE JANSSEN IN THE STORE!!! I REPEAT, I SAW FAMKE JANSSEN IN THE STORE!!! I almost felt like fucking teenie bopper that just saw Justin Timberlake. I was totally gushing about her to my friend. I strongly resisted the urge to run up to Famke and get an autograph because I didn't want to act like a retard. At that moment, I wished I had one of those camera phones so I could have taken a picture of her. Man, I need to go to that place more often.

After the Apple store we had a really great dinner at a very good Chinese restaurant in Chinatown. I introduced her to some dishes she never ate before and she seemed to have liked it a lot.

After dinner, we had to split because I needed to go to Brooklyn to check out an apartment. I spent 20 min. on the train (stupid train rerouting because of track repairs), walked 10 minutes in the dreary, windy weather and didn't get to the apartment until 10 pm. It was so worth it!! Man, that apartment was just mind-blowingly cool. It was a huge loft space in a former shredder factory. The whole building looked like a WWII era factory, which it probably was. The apartment itself had a huge living room, a wall of windows from which I can see the Manhattan skyline, a huge kitchen and two big two-level bedrooms. Dawn, the 33-year-old psychologist (who's finishing up her Ph.D.) that showed me the place lives in one of the rooms. My room, if I'm fortunately enough to get it, was on the opposite end of the apartment. It had two levels. The top was a huge space big enough to fit a king-sized mattress. The bottom part I could totally put in my big ass computer desk as well as my futon. The apartment is just perfect. It is a bit on the grungy side but it is full of character. I probably will feel like an artist living there. Actually, the 7-story apartment is full of musicians and artists and they throw huge rooftop parties frequently. I think I will really enjoy living there just because of the cool community. It won't be just a room to sleep in. It will be a really social place where I can make many new friends.

The apartment's location is perfect too. It's two blocks away from the Brooklyn bridge on the Brooklyn side. It's only a 30-minute train ride from midtown and a 10-minute ride from lower Manhattan where all the shops, bars and clubs are. Actually the really cool thing is that it's only two blocks away from my company's Brooklyn Metrotech branch, which means I can just walk there in the morning and take the company shuttle directly to my midtown office. No transfers, no worries. What a great place.

Dawn seemed like a really chill roommate. She used "sweet-ass" in an email to me describing the place for crying out loud!! She takes dancing classes during the evenings, which is something I will probably do too. She's also a huge fan of Six Feet Under, which was on the TV when she was showing me the place. I tried to ignore the TV because I haven't seen season II yet and didn't want to see any spoilers. I spent almost two hours at the apartment chatting with her and getting a tour of the place. She has two pretty hefty cats that seem to like me and I liked petting them too.

The only caveats with that place are 1.) at $1250 it's a little expensive; 2.) there is a police station and a fire station right next to the apartment complex; 3.) the water heater in our place is small, which means I could only shower for 10 min. before the water starts to get cold. BUT, 1.) that price includes utilities and DirectTV; 2.) there won't be too much shenanigans going on near our place with the police station and the police academy (I laughed when she told me about the police academy because I remembered the movies) so close by; 3.) I can discipline myself to take a quick shower.

Dawn's current roommate won't move out for a while so I can't move in until July 1. On a completely unrelated note, I almost cracked up when I saw the birth control pills on her desk. Basically I'm ready to put down a security on the place. I just hope I will be chosen to live there, since I'm sure there are a bunch of other people that will fall in love with it. I hope my flat screen TV and kick ass speakers will give me an edge over the other fools. Crossing my fingers.

I didn't get home until almost midnight and I spent almost two hours alternating between folding laundry and chatting with bk and yan, which totally sucked. The laundry folding part, that is. Actually, the chat with Yan sucked as well, but for totally different reasons that I won't get into now. I only got 4.5 hours of sleep last night but it was all worth it because I don't think I have been this happy since I moved here. Here's to hoping that everything will work out.