Tuesday, May 06, 2003

How Could I Have Missed It??

Reading this article really reminded me of my own epiphany about a high school teacher a while ago. Ms. K. was my 11th grade health teacher. She also taught gym class. She had short curly hair and always wore shorts or warm-up pants. Even though she was really nice to me, she was definitely not the sharpest tool in the shed. I remember this one time in health class when we were discussing sex, she talked about "machoism." Many people were confused (of course the rest of the students couldn't care less if she was giving birth in class). Then someone said, "You mean 'masochism?'" I don't remember what her exact reaction was, but I don't think she was happy.

There was another time when she was talking about some guy flashing her in the parking lot outside school. And she actually said this in class: "I just laughed at him and said I have seen bigger." Now that I think about it, I can't imagine a heterosexual woman making that kind of comment in front of a bunch of random people. Also, once in AP Calc, Joel joked that "If Ms. K is a lesbian, she must be the butch one." At the time I thought it was pretty funny, but I didn't realize that maybe there was some truth in that joke.