Friday, May 16, 2003

Sick and Demented

Yesterday I stayed home and lay in bed all day because I came down with a pretty bad cold all of a sudden. I had a terrible sore throat and felt somewhat light-headed, but had no fever or diffulty breathing thankfully. The parents reacted more calmly than I thought. Although Mom did mention SARs, she didn't go on Def-Con 5 or Red Alert as I had expected. Most of the day, I was in bed trying to sleep the cold off. For the couple of hours that I was sick of being in bed, I managed to watch "Rebel Without A Cause," which was a great film. It didn't make me feel better about my own problems, though.

Last night was one of the most bizarre nights I have ever experienced since moving here. For half the night I couldn't figure out if I was hallucinating or dreaming. There was one period of time that I can swear I had super-sensory capabilities and could hear and feel every tiny noise in my apartment. For some reason, that throbbing, acute perception only came when the name "Bill Walton" was ringing in my head. The whole experience felt so surreal, like that dark stormy night in Julius Caesar when Brutus and Gang got together to plot Caesar's assasination. Maybe there were no lions roaming the streets, but I was really haunted by all kind of strange noises. After I finally shut it all out with great difficulty, I had a really bizarre dream in which I was sleeping in my car. A creepy homeless man woke me up with gentle knocking on my window. He wanted to get into my car for some reason. Frightened, I drove my car away trying to escape from him, not even remembering what he looked like. At some point during the night, I also dreamed that I had two huge finals in my history and econ classes the next day. Of course, I hadn't read any of the material all quarter and freaked out. It's been more than two months since my last nightmare involving exams, so I guess I was due for a visit from the Grades Fairy.

This morning I crawled out of bed feeling marginally better. I was still coughing and sneezing on the subway, which made the lady sitting next to me nudge herself away slightly more than a few times. I still feel pretty lethargic but I hope the Vicks 44 cough syrup I bought on the way to work will help me last through the day so I can sleep this sickness off on the weekend.