Sunday, June 15, 2003

My Big Fat Greek Wedding

Finally watched it today. It's a pretty entertaining movie. While watching it I had all kind of questions.

1.) How far would I go to pursue someone? Would I be willing to go Greek Orthodox in order to marry the person that I love? Or become a born again Christian, or be circumcised? Well, that last one wouldn't work since no one can convert to Judaism, if I understand it correctly. Even if it were possible, it would still be marginally better than becoming a vegetarian, or *gasp* vegan.

2.) Why is it so hard for me to just be spontaneous and strike up a conversation with a girl that I see on the street? Like yesterday, while I was waiting to be helped by a "genius" at the Apple Store (yes, the tech support people are actually called that), there was this girl right behind me also waiting. She was really cute and I definitely wouldn't have minded getting to know her a little better. We were both waiting in line for almost 20 minutes, but my mouth clammed shut. I guess part of the reason was that I had no clue how old she was just by looking at her. She looked like she could be anywhere from 14 to 24. Damn Asians!

Anyways, the reason can't be that I'm not a spontaneous person. I am very impulsive and often do whatever I feel like doing at any given moment, from taking a drive through the park today (although I somehow ended up driving through the nearby cemetary instead) to watching a movie that starts in an hour to driving 10 miles for some pho at 1 AM. I think the main reason is that I am horrified of being brushed off or rejected and I hate looking like a fool while limping away with my tail between my legs. But when I think about it, the one time that I did talk to someone on a whim, it turned out pretty well. I had a short conversation with a cute girl while waiting to get on the airplane. I found out she was originally from Taiwan and was majoring in Biology or Microbiology at Cal. We had a pretty good chat. Too bad she sat at least 10 rows away from me. I was almost ready to walk up to her and sit in the empty seat besides her when some asshole came on the plane at the last minute and plopped down his dumb ass next to her. I didn't remember her name. I even saw her name on her boarding pass too!! Times like these, I wish I had photographic memory. I tried finding her on the Cal bio dept. website with whatever vague fragment of her name that I could remember, but had to give up because there were just too many Asian premeds. Once again, damn Asians!!

3.) I don't understand how some parents can be so narrow-minded in terms of what kind people their children should or should not marry. I know my parents would prefer that I marry a Chinese girl for cultural reasons, but I don't think they will oppose me marrying a white or black or hispanic girl, as long as they can see that we love each other, and she's a great person and not a crack whore. I guess I'm pretty fortunate to have parents that are so understanding and even progressive.