Tuesday, June 17, 2003

Tooting My Own Horn

Before I found the apartment on 46th St., I had applied to live at a luxury co-op apartment on 36th St. Because it's a co-op, this place was ridiculously picky about everything. The co-op board has an exhaustive application process that requires FOUR reference letters: a personal one, two business ones and one from my current landlord. Even though I hated how elitist these fuckers were, at the time I didn't have any other decent choices so I had to go through with it. Since Tolu was kind enough to write a reference letter for me, I had the personal rec down. I didn't want to burden my coworker and manager with the task of actually writing the letters, so I offered to write them myself and then had them signed by the respective "recommenders" (sp?).

It was surprisingly difficult to write these letters. I know I'm a great guy and all, but I didn't want to write something so outlandish that my boss and coworker would laugh their asses off. I think I pulled it off though. My manager was very impressed by how much I managed to impress him in such a short period of time working here. My coworker signed "her" letter withouth even looking at the letter, which was kind of disappointing since I wanted to see her reaction. Fortunately, I didn't have to fake one for my Chinese landlord, who probably isn't very proficient with the English language, because I found a better apartment.

Anyways, here are the rec letters "written" by my boss and coworker. I had no idea how much everyone liked me :-)