Sunday, July 27, 2003

The Chunkathlon

On Thursday, I got a message from the nonsense NYC mailing list that had a description of an event called the Chunkathlon that was to take place on Saturday in Williamsburg, Brooklyn. How could I not go check this thing out after seeing the following description?

Chunkathalon

C.H.U.N.K. 666 presents the Chunkathalon, a series of death-defying bicycle contests that purge the group of weaker members while amusing the survivors.

Events include the 40 lap, powerslide competition, baby rescue, apocalyptic quickfix, the help-me-up, the gauntlet, derby, flaming wall of death, jump, hurl, and spew, as well as the World Chopper and Tallbike Jousting Championships.

All chopper, tallbike, etc. bike clubs are respectfully commanded to attend. All chopper, tallbike, etc.-equipped individuals are invited to participate.


So I went on Saturday and had a great time. Here are the pics. BTW, most of the pics have captions.

I was pretty surprised to find out that the two biggest groups of people participating in this event actually came from Portland, OR and the SF Bay Area. I was even more surprised by how crazy these bike guys were. When I think of bikers, I think of all those dorky Stanford grad students who always wore their helmets, and peaceful, quiet people biking on trails through the park. I totally did not expect to find heavily tatooed, pierced guys who chugged beers like there was no tomorrow.

Oh yeah, that Doyle guy, who looks like he could be an extra from Brave Heart, is actually from Minneapolis and went to some arts high school. Go figure.