Wednesday, March 26, 2003

Asian Fetish

Today as I was going down the escalator in Grand Central, I saw an Asian guy on another escalator petting his hot blonde girlfriend. I almost wanted to run up to him and high five him. It felt good to finally see an Asian DUDE with a hot white chick, instead of the other way around. No, I am not narrow-minded and against interracial relationships. In fact, in my own twisted logic, more racial mixing leads to less racial discrimination since no one can really claim to belonging to the "superior" race. Besides, most hapa girls are fucking HOT!! I just wish there is some kind of balance in this interracial dating conduit. I can honestly say that in the three months I have been in NYC, this was the first time I saw an Asian guy with a white girl. THREE MONTHS!! IN NEW YORK CITY!! THERE ARE 10 MILLION PEOPLE HERE!! Of course, I have lost track of the number of couples with the other gender/race composition.

I remember reading in Newsweek a couple of years ago that Asian women are most likely to marry outside their racial group. The figure provided was 7% if I remember correctly. My own personal experiences definitely bear this out. On Craig's List there is no shortage of "cute, petite" Asian females looking for "Caucasian guys." Conversely, there are so many white guys with Asian fetish that it was disgusting (yes, I am a loser and I admit to looking at online personal ads). A while back I was waiting in a line with some buddies in a bar/restaurant. There was a really hot Asian girl in front of us that seemed way too friendly to me, not that I would complain about that. We were getting along really well until she said she was waiting for some people. Of course these people turned out to be her boyfriend and his brother. What made it even more disappointing was the fact that this guy was white. I know I should not have felt this way, but it totally felt like a slap in the face.

Junior year at Stanford I got a message through the AASA (Asian American Student Association) mailing list from the president entitled "I'm not Your Asian Fetish" or something like that. Basically, it was an announcement about empowering Asian American women or some bullshit like that. As Kodawg can attest, I was very very tempted to reply and asker her why she was dating a white guy.

Then there is the media. Beautiful Asian/American women in newsrooms, movies, TV shows are often paired with white men, sometimes being portrayed as nothing more than hollow sexual fantasies while the few Asian men I see on screen are often goofy (Jackie Chan) or maniacal (Japanese Yakuza gansters or that Asian guy that gets beaten up by Van Damme in Bloodsport II), and completely devoid of any kind of sexual appeal whatsoever. In fact I saw a new Bacardi Silver commercial tonight in which a fugly Asian chick was drooling over some white guy, to the point of almost stalking him. I almost wanted to pick up one of my myriad remotes and send it through the TV screen.

Of course, I have also seen a fair number of white guys dating hideous Asian girls, so it doesn't always work to our disadvantage.

I'm just wondering what is wrong with us Asian guys? It just seems unfair that in the eyes of non-Asians, Asian gals are considered exotic and desirable, while we are commonly thought of as nerdy and unattractive. What gives? Is it a height thing? I do see many short Hispanic guys with their bootylicious chicas. Could it be that we are usually nice and respectful but not very assertive/aggressive so that we are deemed as boring? Is it the genetic disposition towards glasses wearing? We can't really help it if we have bad eyesight!!

Ok, I'm feeling tired and depressed now. Time to go to bed.