Thursday, May 22, 2003

The Gift

Last week, my sister told me that I should be expecting a little niece in a few months. Now that I know it's a little girl, I have begun thinking about what kind of gift I should get her. The most practical thing would probably be tons of diapers and I think her mom and dad would really appreciate that. However, I don't want my gift to be pissed and shat upon and then thrown away! Barbie doll? It seems so boring and I shouldn't be encouraging gender stereotypes in this day and age! A crib? That seems like a really personal item that the parents themselves should pick. Plain old money? It gives the parents the most flexibility, but seems so crass and impersonal though. Microsoft stocks? By the time she's ready for college, this little investment should have grown enough to put her through four years at Stanford :-)

Seriously, what should I get for my little niece?