Sunday, May 18, 2003

Wedding Encounter

Today I finally felt good enough to crawl out of bed and go out. When I was in Chinatown to get some food and groceries, I unwittingly stumbled upon a mini wedding parade. Basically, the lucky couple and a couple of bridesmaids came out of nowhere, cut in front of me and started walking to who knows where. Their photographer was snapping pictures like crazy. I didn't quite feel like being in that entourage or in any of their pictures for that matter, so I quickened up my pace and walked past them. I turned left at the next intersection and saw a decent looking restaurant. It was called Harmony Place I think. When I walked near the door, I noticed that all the tables were laid out nicely and there were red decorations and double happiness characters hanging everywhere. Before I had time to absorb this, the newly weds closed in behind me. I hurried along to the next restaurant in sight.

This little encounter kind of reminded me of my sister's wedding almost 3 years ago. Those two days leading up to and during the wedding were honestly the most stressful period of my life, more stressful than my first two days as a Branner RCC and trying to connect 180 clueless freshmen to the internet . So many things went wrong, it wasn't even funny. It started off with the discovery of large water spots on my sister's Maid of Honor's dress after we took it back from the dry cleaners. Then my sister almost started hyperventilating on the way to the idyllic country club where the wedding was to be held because she was so hot in her wedding dress. I learned that I was supposed to give a speech at the wedding banquet, ALSO ON THE WAY TO THE CLUB!! Being the terrible public speaker that I was (and still am even after taking a public speaking class at Stanford), I tried to make use of some lame ass AP English symbolism in my speech about how the burning candle represented my sister and brother-in-law's ever-lasting love. Of course, the candle flamed out RIGHT ON CUE!! Oh well, at least everyone there got a kick out of it. After my sister released the doves, I sighed with relief that they didn't fly back to shit on everyone. What a wedding. It was on my birthday too. All in all, it went relatively smoothly, considering the number of things that could have gone wrong. Even the water spots didn't show up much in the pictures. I guess it was all worth it since it made my sister and brother-in-law very happy.

I never cared much for ceremony, and that wedding just validated all my reasoning for having as little fanfare as possible at my own wedding. Honestly, if it were all up to me, which of course will never be the case, I would just go fetch the marriage certificate with the wife and jump on a plane to start a global adventure. Just the two of us, from New York to Madrid to London to Amsterdam to Paris to Rome to Berlin to Venice to Dubai to Shanghai to Tokyo to Bangkok to Melbourne to Rio De Janero to Ankira to Zanzibar to Tahiti. We will go visit as many places as we can. It will be like The Great Race + Around the World in 80 Days. Now that's what I call a honeymoon!