Monday, May 19, 2003

Choices Choices

Some recent developments on the apartment search front have increased the number of potential future living places as well as my indecisiveness.

Choice 1: The Brooklyn loft with Dawn the psychologist. She just emailed me over the weekend and told me that I am her top choice right now and would like to get together to discuss the specifics of the living arrangment if I am still interested. Out of all the potential roommates I have met, she is definitely the coolest. Her place fucking rocks too. The only problems that I have now is the $1250 rent, which is actually pretty pricey compared to the other places I have looked at. Also, the apartment is about a 35-minute commute from work, which is farther than the other places I've looked at.

Choice 2: I just checked out an apartment in lower Manhattan yesterday. It's about 10 to 15 minutes of walking away from Chinatown. The apartment itself is a co-op that is owned by the girl who is renting out the place. Jane is a 20-year-old Asian American girl who graduated from Columbia in two years and is currently in her first year in Columbia Med. Yes, I would be living with an Asian Doogie Howser if I were to get this place. She's gone from 8 to 7 on the weekdays and 5 AM(!!!) to 7 pm on the weekends, which means she will never be around much. After about 30 minutes of looking at the place, she told me that she couldn't spend much more time with me since she has two Neural exams today!! She seem like a pretty chill girl, but I don't know how comfortable I would be to live with my landlord. The apartment itself is pretty awesome. It's about 1000 square feet, according to her. It had a dining room (yes, a real, separate dining room in Manhattan, fancy that!), a living room, a kitchen and two bedrooms. All of the rooms are very big and in really good condition. And she will only charge me $875 a month, including utilities, which makes it a killer deal considering all the shitty, tiny places that I have looked at recently. The apartment complex also has a doorman 24/7, a large laundry room, and elevators! It would be the perfect place to live in with just one little catch: since it's a co-op and not a condo, it has some restrictions on what the owner can and cannot do. One of those restrictions is that she cannot rent out her place to anyone for the first two years. Since she has only had the place from last August, if the apartment people found out that I'm paying her to live at the place, I will get kicked out. She told me that this shouldn't be a problem at all since her current roommate has lived there for almost 10 months and never had a problem.

Advantages: large living space, closer to work, close to Chinatown (cheap fresh groceries), cheaper rent, having the place to myself most of the time.
Disadvantages: live-in landlord who will make me feel guilty about not going to grad school, eviction risk, has nowhere near as much character as Dawn's Brooklyn loft and the other people living there are probably married couples.

Jane is still showing the place to other people and will let me know if I'm The One tonight.

Choice 3: Living with a 26-year-old white guy named Brian. He'll be going to law school this fall. Looks like a decent guy that I could get along with. The apartment is a 2-bedroom place on 51st St. and 8th Ave., which is within walking distance from my office. It has a pretty small living room/dining room and the two bedrooms are pretty small too. If I were to move in, I would need to take the slightly larger bedroom just to fit my bed and computer desk, which means my rent would probably be $1000 a month, excluding utilities. Right now, the only thing this place has going for it is its location. Other than that, it's not much.

Another guy just emailed me over the weekend about a place in downtown Manhattan. He has a large 1800 sq ft loft for rent. I would have my own bedroom and private bathroom, which is a huge plus. We would share common area and kitchen. Apparently, Shaun is also using this apartment as his office. He has a full-time assistant that cleans the place from time to time. I went to his company webiste to check out what he's working on. It seems that he's a programmer working on a multiplayer RPG. Interesting. The only problem is that he didn't mention the rent price or move-in date, so I will need to discuss that with him.

Choices, choices. At least they are looking much better than a week ago :-)