Monday, May 19, 2003

The One?

After work today I went to check out the programmer guy's apartment. It was almost perfect. Situated near Wall St., It's really close to work, with only about a 20-minute commute from my office. It's a huge place, 1800 sq. ft to be exact!! I would have my own bedroom and bathroom, including an air conditioner, which is absent in all the other places I have looked at. There is a washer and a dryer in the apartment itself and the guy's assistant actually does his laundry, cleans the place and washes his dishes for him!! There is an elevator as well as a doorman. The place looks clean, spacious and almost brand new. The guy works in his office next door and only spends time in the apartment to sleep there between 4 am and 12 pm. He's 36 and pretty chill.

So for $1000, I get my own bedroom and bathroom, an assistant to clean up after me, free washer/dryer and a kick ass living room (including a pretty big TV with Xbox, and a load of other electronic equipments to play with)/kitchen. When I asked the guy about the rent, he said, "I just put $1,000 on the ad." My parents suggested that I ask him if it's possible to go a little lower on the rent, since he's obviously loaded (he rents the entire floor of that building, spending $6k/month and has at least 15 guitars and a shitload of sound equipment in his collection). So I did, and he asked, "How much are you thinking?" I said, "How about $850?" He seemed ok with it and told me that he still has to get back to some other people and will let me know tomorrow. Now I'm worried that he may just rent the place out to the highest bidder. I thought about calling him back and saying that $1000 would be ok too, but then what the fuck was the point of the bargaining in the first place. Fuck, I hope I didn't just screw myself out of a great deal. At least I was really nice about it and I presented some valid reasons for wanting a lowerer rent: just graduated and moved here, working in my first real job, etc. Oh well, I really hope I get the place.