Tuesday, April 15, 2003

Don't Call Me Sir

During lunch today, while I was getting my food in the cafeteria, a food server called me "sir" again, which has always made me feel uncomfortable. Most of these workers are older than me, with some approaching or exceeding my parents' age. I have always felt that it's really demeaning to them when they have to address someone with little more than 22 years of existence in this world "sir." By the look of indifference on most of these workers' faces, I guess they could care less about something as trivial as this. I have also gotten such bad service that the guy behind the counter wouldn't have cared if a dead rat had been floating in my soup. However, I just can't help but feel guilty when I see someone my mom's age standing there scooping up a big gulp of mashed potato into my foam container with a smile on her face and then saying "Thank you sir." I want to tell her and everyone else to stop calling me "sir" when I am just a punk kid but that seems impolite as well. Maybe I'm just masochistic.