Thursday, May 22, 2003

Bad Start

This morning I left my apartment in a hurry and forgot to bring my wallet, my company badge AND my keys. Since my landlord, who has the master key, is no longer living above me, there was no way I could get back into my apartment right away. Not wanting to be even more late for work, I had to rush to the subway station and beg the token booth attendant (thank God this booth hasn't been closed recently like many others in NYC) to let me through the turnstiles, since I didn't have any money on me. After I got to work, I had to deal with a snotty a-hole sitting behind the reception desk just so he would give me a worthless visitor's card that was taken away immediately by the security guard by the turnstiles before he clicked me through with the remote. I had to call my coworker to open the doors for me when I got out of the elevator on the third floor. Back in my internship days with Netscape and Sun, the smiling receptionists would just ask a few quick questions and give me a temporary badge that I got to keep the whole day and worked everywhere like my regular badge. They never asked how many times I've forgotten to bring my badge in that contemptuous tone of voice. Anyways, shortly aftwards I walked with my coworker to our software vendor's office in the windy and dreary weather. At least the training session was helpful if somewhat boring towards the end.

Since all of my recent apartment options have fallen through (programmer guy and Asian wiz girl both rented rooms to other people and Dawn the Brooklyn psychologist wasn't willing to lower the hefty $1250/month rent), I'm back to square one in the apartment hunt. Now, I have to sift through the usual pile of "location is everything even if you have to pay $1000 a month for an 8x8 room"/"38 y.o Gay Male seeking female roommate with no issues"/"we are a bunch of cool artsy hipsters seeking 420-friendly musician roommie in Williamsburg" type of ads. This is depressing.