Monday, February 09, 2004

The Sound of Music

Although I only watched about 15 minutes of the Grammy last night, I did catch a couple of interesting moments: When Outkast won the Record of the Year (or was it Album of the Year? What is the difference anyway?), all the cameras were panning left and right trying to find Andre 3000 and Big Boi. Some in the audience stood up and clapped after the announcement, but they also looked confused. One of the cameras caught Andre just before he got on stage, grabbed his award and then said "Thank you." Then he just left!! He was wearing that funky green jacket too. Andre 3000 is now officially my idol. Sorry Deuce Bigelow Male Gigolo, Andre is just too cool.

Later I saw Sting performing "Roxanne" with Sean Paul, which almost made me hurl. What is wrong with you, Sting? Are you so broke that you can't stop whoring your best songs? Butchering "Every Breath You Take" with P. Diddy a while back was bad enough, but at least Diddy is a decent producer. Sean Paul? I can't understand 99% of what comes out of that man's mouth! Although I have difficulty understanding some rap lyrics due to a lack of exposure to all the slang words, I can at least understand the words that are being said, even if they have no meaning to me. With Sean Paul, it's as if he's speaking a totally different language. I'm not even sure if it's from this planet. I remember watching some program on MTV in which the most difficult to understand music videos were shown with captions. When Sean Paul's "Gimme the Light" video came on, I thought there was no fucking way the sound coming out of his mouth was matching the actual captions. Anyways, I'm totally mystified by his popularity.

Back to Sting being a whore. Ok, since it was a somewhat moving tribute to a dead rapper, "Every Breath You Take" was at least forgivable if entirely regrettable. But singing "Desert Rose" in a Jaguar commercial? Bastardizing "Roxanne" with Sean Paul? What's next, collaborating with Little Bowwow on "Message in a Bottle"? Sting is without a doubt the male gigolo of the music world.