Sunday, March 02, 2003

I LOVE MY MOMMY AND DADDY!!

Woohoo!! I finally got the box of food that laoma ("old mom") and laoba ("old dad") sent out last week. Laoba got last Monday off from work because it was his birthday. Since Laoma works at the same research institute and the institute gives employees days off for their spouses' birthdays as well, she got the day off too.

And what did they do with their day off? THEY MADE FOOD. FOR MY SISTER AND ME!!! All kind of goodies, from baozi (pork-stuffed buns) to dumplings to big pancakes to pork chops. They even sent me some chopped squid and sea cucumbers!! And they expect me too make chicken soup with the sea cucumbers. Hehe, I will try my best I guess.

I don't think I will have to cook at all next week since they sent me 27 pounds of food :-)

Because my guilt meter shot through the roof when I found out that they were cooking for me on his bday, I ordered them a super sweet DVD player. Since it has a 5-disc changer, laoma will be able to watch terrible Chinese soap operas all night without changing discs. Hmm, maybe it's not such a good idea after all. We almost never celebrate birthdays since it was never that big of a deal in Chinese culture, at least for people unde 60, before all this westernization took place. But I guess the parents more than deserved it.